The previous solution I wrote about to display lyrics in foobar2000 stopped working. I posted a question on the foobar2000 forums but no one knew of a way to get the plugin to work. For whatever reason the folks who run lyricsplugin.com aren’t interested in supporting foobar2000.
A few advantages to this updated solution are that the lyrics aren’t downloaded every time you listen to a song and there is no longer an external window to display the lyrics.
Negatives are that you have to update the lyrics before being able to view them instead of just playing the song, and since the lyrics are stored in the MP3, its size increases, but it’s negligible.
2. Stop foobar2000 and copy the 2 DLLs to the components folder, then start foobar2000.
3. Go to View -> Layout -> Enable layout editing mode, then right click where you want to show the lyrics and choose “Replace UI Element”, “Selection Information”, Text Display.
4. Right click on the lyrics screen and add the lyrics tag. Here’s the format I use:
%title%$crlf() [%artist%$crlf()] [%album%[ '('%date%')']$crlf()] $crlf() $if2(%lyrics%,)
5. Turn off layout mode by going to the View menu and selecting “Enable layout editing mode” again.
6. Right click on one or more MP3s and choose Legacy commands -> get from db.
A hearty thanks goes to Dugwin for creating the plugin and lyrics database. I hope this solution continues to work for a long time to come.