Free Windows Countdown Timer

SnapTimer screenshot
I’ve been searching for a Windows countdown timer that satisfied all my requirements for a long time. If you recall, I searched back in 2008 and posted my findings here. I’ve continued to search without success, so I decided to write my own. It’s called SnapTimer.

While writing it I reviewed all the Lifehacker timer posts and implemented any reasonable feature I could find. It’s flexible enough to be used with the 2-minute rule in GTD, the Pomodoro technique, the 30 minutes of uninterrupted work from the Now Habit, Steve Pavlina’s 15-minute method, Merlin Mann’s (10+2)*5 hack and any other productivity method requiring a timer.

I’ve been using it for the past few weeks and I’ve seen a significant increase in productivity. I hope you will too.

1. Hi, excelent program. One feature request: disable manual window resizing.

» Comment by yethwa on August 15, 2010 @ 1:53 am
  2. @yethwa Thanks. Do you mean to automatically resize the Window to when you change font sizes? If so, I’m planning to implement that in the next release.

» Comment by Dan on August 15, 2010 @ 8:49 am
  3. I mean if I catch a corner of the window, I can change its size. I think that it is not needed, automatically resize of the Window when I change font sizes is good idea.

And one more thing why sometimes time flashes every second?

» Comment by yethwa on August 15, 2010 @ 11:40 am
  4. @yethwa Even when it auto-resizes, there’s no harm in being able to adjust the size. If you don’t want to resize the window, then don’t :)

I tried to stop the flashing for a while, without much luck. The form is double-buffered which is supposed to stop it, but it obviously hasn’t.

» Comment by Dan on August 15, 2010 @ 2:35 pm
  5. Hi Dan–

I love this app. Great work. Just curious: Is there a way to set a countdown to 30 seconds? I can only seem to set per minute countdowns.

Rob

» Comment by Rob Robinson on October 14, 2010 @ 7:42 pm
  6. Hey Rob, thanks for the comment. There’s an undocumented way to make it countdown in seconds (though the label will still say minutes). Open up SnapTimer.ini with a text editor like Notepad and add this line anywhere in the [Main] section: SecondsMode=1

With this set the value in the minutes field will be treated as seconds. You can turn it off by setting the value to 0.

» Comment by Dan on October 14, 2010 @ 10:14 pm
  7. Thanks, Dan. That’s definitely helpful. It would be great to see this functionality incorporated officially in a future release. Could you make it so that typing a period or colon and then numbers updated the seconds? Just an idea.

Rob

» Comment by Rob Robinson on October 15, 2010 @ 5:51 am
  8. I’d thought about allowing decimals, but I hadn’t considered a colon. That’s a great idea! It’s been added to the todo list.

» Comment by Dan on October 15, 2010 @ 8:46 am
  9. Thank you very much!!! the program really helpful.

» Comment by Sreng on January 14, 2011 @ 5:42 am
  10. @Sreng You’re welcome, thanks for the comment.

» Comment by Dan on January 14, 2011 @ 10:05 am