mini carrots

Where’s the quality control at the mini carrots factory?

Not so mini carrot

The carrot on top of the bag in the picture does not qualify as a mini carrot in my book.

1. I feel bad for the poor carrot, he probably wasn’t big enough to go in the regular carrot bag, but he’s too big for the mini carrots. *sigh* Life can be cruel…

» Comment by Russ on July 5, 2005 @ 6:54 pm
  2. I used to think baby carrots were baby carrots, until I read somewhere they are really normal carrots chopped and washed. I guess this guy escaped the chopping block.

» Comment by Cameron on July 5, 2005 @ 8:17 pm
  3. How funny — we live several states away from you and we had the same thing happen just last night — there was a not-so-mini carrot in the bag we were diving into. Ours were also from Albertson’s. I would send you a pic, but we ate ours — we don’t discriminate against big carrots in our house, or subject them to public humiliation in blog entries. I can’t prove it with DNA or anything, but I’m pretty sure it’s not their fault — they’re just born that way. And they’re good with ranch dressing, regardless.

» Comment by Karalyn on July 5, 2005 @ 8:38 pm
  4. Russ: I don’t know. He was pretty darn big. I think he would have fit quite nicely in the big carrot bag, unless he just looked big next to all his little mini carrot friends.

Cameron: Do they shave the ends in the process, because baby carrots don’t have the flat sliced ends from being chopped. It’s a conspiracy! They’re calling them baby carrots when they’re really just carrot slices!

Karalyn: My wife ate the big carrot, so it wasn’t left to wallow in its gargantuan size for long. How is public humiliation different from glorious publicity? Maybe he (or she I guess) had been longing to be seen by the public. I doubt it was born that way, especially given Cameron’s discovery that they’re not babies at all, but chopped up adult carrots.

I must agree, however, that they are quite delicious with ranch dressing. There’s no doubt about that.

» Comment by dan on July 5, 2005 @ 9:20 pm
  5. True, Dan, I hadn’t considered the carrot’s possible longing for publicity . . . how considerate of you to grant him/her/it a small glimpse of fame before its ultimate demise. I am sorry now for denying our own mutant baby carrot the same honor. DH had suggested setting the giant carrot on end in the middle of the bowl so all the regular, normal baby carrots could laugh and poke fun, which is *kind of* the same thing, but that hardly seemed humane. So he shrugged, picked it up, and bit its head off.

Or its feet. I’m not sure.

This is a ridiculous conversation.

::hanging head in shame::

» Comment by Karalyn on July 5, 2005 @ 10:18 pm
  6. I would agree that letting it stand in all its glory in the middle of the bowl would probably not be the most humane (or would that be mini-carrote) thing to do.

Indeed this conversation is ridiculous, yet funny.

» Comment by dan on July 5, 2005 @ 10:31 pm
  7. maybe they are called baby carrots because the big carrots are too much to chew for babies.

» Comment by whaleman on July 6, 2005 @ 1:14 pm
  8. Ah, but Gerber has baby food made out of mashed up carrots.

» Comment by dan on July 6, 2005 @ 1:16 pm
  9. Dan, Yes.

Go here http://www.grimmway.com/Consumers/ and then click on “At Work for You,” then “Baby Carrots,” and then “The Process”. I got here from:

» Comment by Cameron on July 6, 2005 @ 2:59 pm
  10. Cameron: That’s interesting, thanks for the link. The trick is they peel after cutting, and the peeling process shaves them off with nice round edges. It’s truly masterful.

» Comment by dan on July 7, 2005 @ 9:28 am
  11. Why do I look this stuff up?

» Comment by Joey on October 24, 2005 @ 6:53 pm