Setting the Superman Seinfeld Record Straight

My fellow Seinfeld fans, there is a myth that has been perpetuated too long. You know the one I’m talking about. Heck, in weaker times even I succumbed to its sweet siren song. SeinfeldBut the myth is wrong, no matter how many think otherwise. It’s time to set the record straight.

The myth states that every Seinfeld episode contains a reference to Superman. It’s not true, no matter how generous you are in allowing vague references.

There are multiple episodes, but The Subway is a good example. I’ve watched the episode and checked the script. There are no references to Superman, Clark Kent, Lois Lane, Smallville, Kryptonite.

The facts are that Seinfeld is a fan of Superman and the topic comes up frequently in the show. The Superman magnet and figurine weren’t added to Jerry’s apartment until Season 4 and 5, respectively, and not all episodes even show the apartment.

So there you have it. The myth is dispelled.

Update: 7 Mar 2012 Reddit linked here and a few folks claimed the reference could be so obscure it would be missed by mere mortals. To that I say, pssssha. Such a claim shouldn’t require a Supermanologist (Supermanician?) to confirm it, and a stubborn adherence to a myth rather than dealing with the facts does not make it true.

I’m not one to be deterred by unreasonable claims of obscurity, so I’ll introduce you to Barry Frieman at supermanhomepage.com where he wrote an article about this very topic. I quote, “…an urban legend has sprung up that Jerry snuck a reference to the Man of Steel in every episode of NBC’s Must-See comedy juggernaut, ‘Seinfeld’, which aired from 1989 to 1998. Not true.” (emphasis mine) I rest my case.

If you still aren’t convinced, what’s the reference to Superman in “The Subway” episode?

1. Ok i think they were saying that superman is in every episode in some way, jerry has a superman doll on his bookshelf for instance

» Comment by Joiline on November 8, 2012 @ 8:22 pm
  2. @Joiline Yes, that’s what they were saying, but they’re wrong. As I wrote above, “not all episodes even show the apartment.”

» Comment by Dan on November 8, 2012 @ 8:29 pm
  3. Also, in Jerry’s apartment is a picture of superman on his refrigerator- which is in the subway episode. So this is incorrect.

» Comment by Samantha on November 14, 2012 @ 4:51 pm
  4. I think the Subway one does disprove the myth. I’m a freelance video editor with good attention to detail. I watched this episode paying close attention to details like the graffiti, newspapers and posters. All would have been easy places to sneak in a reference. I didn’t see anything conclusive as a Superman reference. I did notice one bit of red graffiti with very pronounced S’s but that can’t really be counted.

Now I didn’t frame by frame it or anything, I’ll leave that to someone with OCD if they’re really up to the challenge.

» Comment by Pat on November 20, 2012 @ 10:06 pm
  5. @Samantha Nope, the episode never shows his apartment. That’s the first thing you check ;)

» Comment by Dan on December 9, 2012 @ 11:41 pm
  6. Sometimes there is no “visible” superman ( as shown with the figurine and refrigerator magnet. However, the episodes where the apartment is not even shown – the characters ( jerry, elaine, etc…) immitate the acting ( kinda cornballish ) that was done in the early superman episodes ( and yes, probably other movies or shows of that time ). So the acting itself is the shows way of maintaining a superman feeling in all of the seinfeld episodes.

» Comment by squirrel69 on December 23, 2012 @ 1:02 am
  7. @squirrel69 You’re really reaching now. I don’t understand what makes people so willing to believe a myth, then cling to the myth when presented with conflicting facts. What makes you so sure every episode has a Superman reference, so much so you feel the need to make up reasons? What’s so bad about there being a lot of Superman references in the show but not every last episode?

» Comment by Dan on December 23, 2012 @ 1:31 am
  8. If you purchase the DVD they actually say in the extras that there is in fact a Visible reference to superman or they discuss superman but yes it is in every episode and sometimes it is a reach. The PEOPLE PERPETUATING this are the writers of Seinfeld not some random internet thing.

» Comment by Katie on January 18, 2013 @ 3:16 pm
  9. For example in, The Puerto Rican Day” (1998) – Jerry uses the alias “Kal Varnson

» Comment by Katie on January 18, 2013 @ 3:22 pm
  10. @Katie That’s interesting and makes it seem more official, but I have yet to see anyone point out Superman references in the episodes we’ve discussed here. Those of us (including Superman experts) who have watched these episodes looking for a reference have come up empty. When presented with an absolute statement, a single exception disproves it.

» Comment by Dan on January 18, 2013 @ 6:47 pm
  11. Ahhh, tsk tsk… You just haven’t looked at it with X-ray vision.

You see, */the subway itself/* is a Superman reference.

In that celebrated blockbuster epic masterpiece of cinematography, “Superman IV: The Quest for Peace,” recall that Superman has to stop a runaway subway train after its driver suddenly loses consciousness while at the controls. Supes thereby saves Lois’s life (followed by a brief statement to onlookers to remember that “public transit is still our safest and most reliable means of transportation!”).

How much clearer a reference do you need?!! :-D

» Comment by MisterAhole on March 20, 2013 @ 2:26 pm
  12. @MisterAhole (a more apt name I’ve never seen) That was the single best response I’ve seen to this debate. I take my hat off to you sir. Would you care to have a go at The Chinese Restaurant or The Parking Garage?

» Comment by Dan on March 20, 2013 @ 5:08 pm
  13. You sir…are incorrect. Check your facts. The myth is that Superman is seen OR referenced in every episode. And by seen that mean could be as simple as the “S” logo as a pin on someone’s lapel or something small like that. So yes, you are wrong.

» Comment by Billy on March 30, 2013 @ 12:12 pm
  14. @Billy Methinks you don’t know a joke when you see one.

» Comment by Dan on April 3, 2013 @ 4:09 pm
  15. Billy… No, he is not wrong. I’ve long doubted the veracity of this myth and I’ve done my own research. I can confirm all of Dan’s points here. There are *zero* Superman references, pictures, etc. in some episodes. Watch The Subway again. Where is Superman? Where is the “S” shield? Where is it? If you can point it out to me, I will concede. But I’m guessing that’s never going to happen.

So no, you are the one who is wrong.

Here’s the thing, Billy. When you believe something so strongly that you’re willing to tell someone they’re wrong about it when they are equipped with a great deal of demonstrable facts and a comprehensive knowledge of the subject and you’re backed by nothing but your intransigence you’re in a bad place. You don’t have to believe things people tell you. You can do the research yourself if you really want to know that badly. If you don’t care about the truth then by all means go ahead. Me, I like to believe true things and not false things whenever possible. I don’t want to believe false things because that is foolish and I am not a fool. I think it’s time to rethink the way you’ve been living.

» Comment by Joe E Dangerously on May 14, 2013 @ 11:02 am
  16. C’mon. It’s so simple! Seinfeld starts with S as does Superman therefore every episode has a reference to Superman ;-)

» Comment by Jason on June 25, 2013 @ 2:26 pm
  17. @Jason An interesting theory ;)

» Comment by Dan on June 25, 2013 @ 3:06 pm
  18. I think your all OCD

» Comment by Vince on August 20, 2013 @ 1:44 am
  19. @Vince I realize this only confirms the diagnosis, but it should be you’re. :)

» Comment by Dan on August 21, 2013 @ 10:13 am
  20. You’re all ridiculous for spending so much time on this subject. What the hell is a “Superman expert”?? Hahaha.

» Comment by Hahaha on August 28, 2013 @ 2:22 am
  21. One could say the same of spending your valuable time commenting on this subject. ;)

» Comment by Dan on August 28, 2013 @ 9:22 am
  22. People don’t have to say “EVERY SIGLE EPISODE” they say “most of all the episodes” so there could be 1 or 2 that do not have a SUPERMAN refrence. And people dont have to look so much into it like saying that there is a subway in seinfield and…OH look at that there is a subway in superman too…WOW.

» Comment by psyc o' on August 31, 2013 @ 10:29 am
  23. I just watched S3E19, George and Jerry take Donald O’Brien’s limo. no superman reference at all.

» Comment by Kevin on October 14, 2013 @ 6:51 pm
  24. @Dan In the Chinese Restaurant, George references Batman. Doesn’t Batman have to do with Superman?

» Comment by Johnny on December 6, 2013 @ 4:56 pm
  25. @Johnny That’s a stretch, but I will admit they have a tenuous connection. Nicely done :)

» Comment by Dan on December 7, 2013 @ 8:00 pm
  26. For the Parking Garage episode, when Jerry goes to pee behind the car the script actually calls for Jerry to “looks around like Superman, and lets fly”. It’s in there:)

» Comment by eszwabow on January 3, 2014 @ 1:06 am
  27. Hah! That’s awesome that they wrote it into the script. How the heck does Superman look around differently than anyone else? What about the Subway episode? I see no mention of Superman in the script ;)

» Comment by Dan on January 3, 2014 @ 1:30 am
  28. even though some episodes don’t have references or a hidden superman somewhere on the episode, (mostly season 1-4) Red and blue clothing are often worn on the show by either jerry,george,or Elaine and sometimes all together. that is jerry’s hidden hint to superman when there is no quotes or appearences. Superman Wears red and Blue!

» Comment by mike on January 5, 2014 @ 6:11 pm
  29. @mike Did Jerry ever say this or are you making it up?

» Comment by Dan on January 6, 2014 @ 12:54 pm
  30. No Jerry Seinfeld has never said this, am i making it up the fact of the appearenses of red and blue clothing on the show no. I am just guessing that is jerry’s hidden superman hint. Jerry has never came out in public and said in anyway that there is a superman appearence in every show. After appearing so many times on Seinfeld tv, fans came up with the idea and the myth that superman is in every show. Every episode of Season’s 5-9 have definitely a hint of superman with either quotes,the statue,or one of the two magnets. Season 1-4 have 20 episodes out of 64 with either a quote and the magnet in season 4. So superman isn’t in every show, but if you want to include the colors of superman worn in the non superman shows, you can believe in the myth or not if you want to.

» Comment by mike on January 19, 2014 @ 2:05 pm
  31. Every scene has the culmination of blue yellow and orange somewhere. That is the reference and they play on the superman references to make it more obvious at times, you notice it so much more when you’re really high

» Comment by Dylan on February 27, 2014 @ 7:19 am
  32. @MisterAhole…..bravo. yes, best comment I’ve seen….sorry @Dan. seems you shouldn’t be so skeptic. open your heart a little:)

» Comment by amber on June 16, 2014 @ 5:32 pm